What Are the Different Types of Partner Visas in Australia?

18 March 2022
 Categories: , Blog

Australia is a great place to live, and the Australian visa system makes it easy for partners of Australian citizens and permanent residents to join them in the country. There are many different types of partner visas available, each with its own requirements. Learn more about these partner visas here.

Temporary Partner Visa

This visa allows you to stay in the country for a specified period. To be eligible, you have to be in a de facto relationship or married to an Australian citizen or permanent resident of the country. You will also need to provide evidence of your relationship, such as joint bank accounts and a shared tenancy agreement.

If you are the holder of a temporary partner visa, you are allowed to:

  • Live and work in Australia
  • Travel to and from Australia for the duration of the visa
  • Enrol in Medicare, Australia's public health care scheme

Remember that the temporary partner visa is only a stepping stone to the permanent partner visa. You will need to apply for a permanent visa before your temporary visa expires.

Permanent Partner Visa

The permanent partner visa is the ultimate goal for most people who apply for a partner visa to Australia. If you have this visa, you can also apply for Australian citizenship. Once you gain citizenship, you'll be able to live and work in Australia indefinitely. You'll also enjoy all the rights and privileges that come with citizenship, such as voting in elections.

If your relationship ends before you receive your permanent partner visa, the visa application can be cancelled. However, remember that your partner cannot cancel your visa application. If your relationship ends permanently, your spouse can only alert the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) about the change in your relationship status.

In this case, the DHA will, in turn, send you a letter to confirm whether your relationship has ended. The DHA may offer you a grace period to respond to the letter. During this period, you can look for alternative types of visas that may allow you to stay in Australia, such as the skilled independent visa or the student visa.

But keep in mind that there are instances when your permanent visa may be approved even if you and your spouse are no longer together. For example, if you're a victim of domestic violence and have evidence to support the claim, the DHA may allow you to stay in the country.